William R. Davie Academy
"The Appointed Lodge Officer" is designed to assist Deacons, Stewards, and other Lodge Officers to understand what is required to effectively serve in each capacity. Also covered are items to consider as you advance through the chairs in your Lodge so that you can be better prepared in case you are asked to "skip a chair". All Lodge Officers not just Junior Officers will benefit from this program. This workshop will be held Saturday, March 3, 2018 at Richlands, Washington, Greensboro, Hillsborough, Rutherfordton, and Lenoir:
The cost is $45.00
“Everything You Wanted to Know about NC Masonry”
This program is not just for new Masons! - Learn the organization and structure of the NC Masonic system. Navigating the CODE, NCGL Website, protocol, etiquette, and many other topics will be covered. Workshops begin at 10 AM and end around 12:30. - Six locations across NC: Richlands, Washington, Greensboro, Hillsborough, Rutherfordton, & Lenoir.
The cost is only $10.00. Be sure to indicate on your Eventbrite Ticket which event site you'll be attending.
The William R. Davie Leadership Academy is a practical education on lodge management and leadership, with classes on Masonic history, traditions, and structure. Offered in your region, targeted to your needs and delivered by expert instructors.
Practical education on lodge management and leadership, with classes on Masonic history, traditions, and structure. Offered in your region, targeted to your needs and delivered by expert instructors.
To expand the scope of training for North Carolina’s emerging Masonic leaders, the Grand Lodge Committee on Masonic Education developed the William R. Davie Leadership Academy. Named for the revolutionary war hero, diplomat, N.C. governor and grand master whose enlightened leadership placed our fraternity on a strong foundation in its early years, the Davie Academy delivers training that’s targeted to the needs of brethren at various stages of their Masonic development.
The Academy’s all-new curriculum replaces the Wardens Bootcamps with day-long introductory, intermediate and advanced sessions. It offers to a broader range of members an opportunity to explore the Craft and improve themselves as Masonic leaders. Sessions are held monthly in various regions of the state, and instructors are experienced Masonic leaders specially trained to deliver coursework for maximum impact and efficiency.
The Davie Academy’s goals:
- Making Masonic education inclusive, accessible and affordable;
- Providing high quality and relevant education in Masonic leadership, management and traditions; and
- Preparing you for leadership and at the lodge, district and state levels.
Updates for 2018!
The William R. Davie Leadership Academy was launched just over a year ago. During this time 356 Brothers received leadership and Lodge operations training in 16 sessions at locations across North Carolina. Last summer the WRDLA Advisory Group reviewed student evaluation forms, considered the observations of staff and instructors, and made slight adjustments to the program. The recommended changes are:
- Moving from a four track program to two core programs, supplemented by five workshop programs.
- The core programs are “The Appointed Lodge Officer” and “The Elected Lodge Officer” and are five hours each.
- The workshops include “Finance & Budget,” “Everything You Need to Know (but were afraid to ask),” “The Art of Chairing a Lodge Meeting,” “Preparing for the East,” and “The District Officer/Grand Lodge Committeeman.” These workshops are two to two and a half hours each.
- Participants may still qualify to be recognized as graduates of the program. To qualify they must attend the two core programs plus three workshops, not necessarily in the same calendar year. Brethren who participated in the track-based program may still qualify for recognition as graduates by completing three tracks and two workshops, or two tracks and three workshops, or one track and four workshops.
- Additional workshop topics are being considered and may be added.
- Core programs will be held in each of the three areas (East, Central, West).
- The workshops will be held in six locations simultaneously around the state.
- All classes will be on the first Saturday of each month, with the exception of June and December.
- Registration is encouraged via the education resources page on the NCGL website at http://grandlodge-nc.org/william-r-davie-academy
Core classes are only $45 each and includes: lunch, materials, and certificate with the workshops being only $10 each.
Special presentations may be offered for districts or lodges upon request and subject to instructor availability.
The Davie Academy replaces the Wardens Bootcamps. This new and more extensive program offers instructional options appropriate for a wide range of learners, from the youngest Master Mason to the senior lodge officer. The Davie Academy also makes advanced Masonic education more accessible by offering day-long programs across the state.
It does not replace Wilkerson College, an intensive leadership training program taking place over three weekends in Greensboro, Oxford, and Raleigh.
For more information email the Grand Lodge Committee on Masonic Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.